Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Educational Law Class

I have just finished week three of my law class. Last night I learned about the Ugly Law.

Yes, it is true. (You can Google it--that's where I found the following info)

In the early 1900's the Ugly Law was quite common. Communities wanted to only show their "pretty" faces. So-it was ILLEGAL to be found ugly on the streets in some major towns in America.

Someone could be imprisoned or fined $50 for each offense.

Chicago's law stated "No person who is diseased, maimed, mutilated or in any way deformed so as to be an unsightly or disgusting object or improper person to be allowed in or on the public ways or other public places in this city, or shall therein or thereon expose himself to public view, under a penalty of not less than one dollar nor more than fifty dollars for each offense."

Chicago was the last city to quit prosecuting this "crime" in 1974.

In 1974 I was 11 years old. I've got to tell you that I am glad the law was repealed because I was not "pretty". And for quite a few years before and after 1974 I was still not pretty. Take a look.


9 years old:



















11 years old:


It's bad enough that I have dark brown spots on my neck and nose--did I really have to have my tongue stuck between my teeth too?







15 years old:


Amazingly I looked strikingly similar to the boy I liked this school year!

I think I'll leave you now with these wonderful pictures. Maybe next time I will show some cute ones!

1 comment:

  1. You're hilarious! Signe, I KNOW you would not fall under the category described in the Ugly Law. I cannot believe that ever exsisted!

    How offensive!
    lol

    ReplyDelete